Main menu
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
All black soldier fly farming designs, questions, breeding boxes, and info topics are welcome in this section.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Breeding, Mating, and Eggs

Breeding, Mating, and Eggs 7 months 1 week ago #2673

Hello Black Soldier Fly Farming!!!

I'm in Northern Arizona, and Southern Nevada, thanks for checking out my thread.

I've been playing with the BSFL for almost a year now, and I have visited this site about a dozen times, and thought I'd post and share some of my experiences, and what little insight I have on these little guys.

I really wanted to concentrate this thread on the breeding aspect, to me this is the most difficult part of their cycle. Also, there is a lot of information on the feeding cycle of their lives, and to me, its great to see everyone's individual take on how to get them fed and their crawl off stage, whatever works for you is my view of that.

However in saying that, I am having some difficulty with getting them to lay eggs, and to mate. The video explains a lot, it's about 2 minutes long, and I have also attached some photos as well.

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and best of luck to you all!

Attachments:
Please login to comment.

Breeding, Mating, and Eggs 7 months 1 week ago #2674

• worms
  • BSF Pupae
  • Thank you received: 24
A few questions DesertSoldierFly,
What is the humidity in your area?
Do you have an additional source of water or misting within your enclosure?
Obviously you are in or near the desert. This implies low humidity and rather dry conditions.
It would appear that higher humidity and slightly higher temps than your low 70's are needed to trigger mating.
George
Kookaburra Worm Farms - www.kookaburrawormfarms.com.au
Live fishing bait worms, compost worms, Little and Big Rotter Worm Farms and worm eggs
Please login to comment.

Breeding, Mating, and Eggs 7 months 1 week ago #2675

Excellent point, I'm in the desert, so the humidity is naturally low, it's been a bit higher than normal (in the mid 30's, haha) but usually it is about 25% humidity. I did a couple of things to counter the humidity in the enclose, the I water the plants I put in the area heavily, and then I laid some carpet down as a flooring for the enclosure, I soak the carpet at night, and then again in the morning to create evaporation, and hopefully a little more humidity.

The fresh water is a struggle, I just place a small amount in some containers scattered throughout the enclosure, just a small enough amount that they don't drown, but you think misters might be a good play there? Should have thought of that, that's a good point. What temps are you having success at?

Thanks for the pointers. With the compost pile for egg laying, is that something you want to keep covered? I have holes large enough for them to fly in and out if I cover the bin, or should I keep it open to have the smell attract them?